MSE II expander Dr. Moon (Maxillary Skeletal Expander)
Kit MSE II Expander
MSE II Refill Kit with miniscrews and spanner keys
MSE II Expander
- Expander 8 mm
- Expander 10 mm
- Expander 12 mm
- Miniscrew 1.8 x 11 mm
- Miniscrew 1.8 x 13 mm
MSE Short Engine Driver
MSE Long Engine Driver
MSE Mini Handle Driver
MSE Ratchet Wrench
MSE II Activation Spanner Key – Short
MSE II Activation Spanner Key – Long
MSE Safety Leashes
Drill-Bit (for corticopuncture)
NSK iSD900 Cordless Screwdriver
For secure fixation and removal of prosthetic screws, implant healing abutments and palatal miniscrews.
Maxillary Skeletal Expander (MSE) invented by Prof. Won Moon (UCLA)
Maxillary Skeletal Expander (MSE) is a specific type of Miniscrew Assisted Rapid Palatal Expander (MARPE), capable of producing large maxillary and midface expansion in young as well as in adult patients.
It is indicated in the treatment of posterior cross bite, Class III malocclusions and it is able to improve nasal airflow and breathing. Recent publications show the positive effects also in the therapy of Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA).
Medical Micro Design is the authorized and exclusive distributor for Italy of Maxillary Skeletal Expander (MSE) and BioMaterials Korea (BMK) products.
- Mostly Skeletal Expansion: Less Bone Bending and Dental Tipping Compared to RPE and SARPE
- MSE Can Be Used for Mature Patients
- Less Invasive than SARPE and Orthognathit Surgery
- Significant Increase in Upper Airway Volume: Nasal Obstruction, Sleep Apnea
- Vertical Control in High Angle Cases
- FM and MSE for Class Ill Correction
Prof. Won Moon, Inventor of MSE
Dr. Won Moon is the Founder of the Moon Principles Institute (“the MoonLab”) and a Co-founder of BioTech Innovation. He served as the Thomas R. Bales Endowed Chair in Orthodontics for the orthodontic residency program at UCLA School of Dentistry (2013-2020), and he currently holds two academic positions: Full-Professorship at Ajou University, and Adjunct Professorship at Forsyth Institute. He has been a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics since 2002. He completed his dental education at Harvard and orthodontic education at UCLA. He studied mathematics prior to dentistry, and his research topics include 3D image analysis utilizing surface mapping functions and Elliptical Fourier’s Descriptors, Genomewide Association Study of Craniofacial Phenotypes, Finite Element Model (FEM) Development and Simulation, Applications of 3D Printing in Orthodontics, Orthopedic Correction, Airway Changes with Orthopedic Corrections, Accelerated Tooth Movement, Micro-implant (MI) Design study, Digital Workflow, and Aligner System Development.
His work has been published in various journals, not necessarily limited to orthodontics because of his physical science background, and he is a co-author of six textbooks. He has presented these findings in 37 countries, totaling over 450 presentations. He received multiple research grants during his tenure at UCLA, including the Groundbreaking Research Project Grant Award in 2014. Besides the numerous research and presentation awards over the years, he has received the “Faculty of the Year Award” more times than anyone at UCLA Orthodontic Program, and he was the recipient of the “Lifetime Achievement and Faculty Dedication/Excellence Award” in 2019. His current focus has been establishing protocols for orthopedic corrections with MI, improving the airway for patients with nasal obstruction, creating virtual patients utilizing image analysis and FEM, and developing a novel Moon Aligner System.
His interest in mid-facial expansion began in 2004 as micro-implant became available in the USA, and he is responsible for developing Maxillary Skeletal Expander (MSE), a unique micro-implant assisted rapid palatal expander (MARPE). He has been active in advocating non-surgical skeletal expansion in both children and adult patients, especially for those who may suffer from airway restrictions. His presentation in MSE has been widely accepted internationally, and numerous peer-reviewed publications are available.
Articles on MSE
- Cantarella D, Savio G, Grigolato L, Zanata P, Berveglieri C, Lo Giudice A, Isola G, Del Fabbro M, Moon W. A new methodology for the digital planning of micro-implant-supported maxillary skeletal expansion Evid Res. 2020;13:93-106
- Cantarella D, Karanxha L, Zanata P, Moschik C, Torres A, Savio G, Del Fabbro M, Moon W. Digital Planning and manufacturing of maxillary skeletal expander for patients with thin palatal bone Med Devices Evid Res. 2021;14:1-13
- Zygomaticomaxillary modifications in the horizontal plane induced by micro-implant-supported skeletal expander, analyzed with CBCT images. Progress in Orthodontics. 2018, 19:41. Cantarella D, Dominguez-Mompell R, Moschik C, Sfogliano L, Elkenawy I, Pan HC, Mallya SM, Moon W.
- Midfacial changes in the coronal plane induced by micro-implant-supported skeletal expander, studied with CBCT images. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2018 Sep;154(3):337-345. doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2017.11.033. Cantarella D, Dominguez-Mompell R, Mallya SM, Moschik C, Pan HC, Miller J, Moon W.
- Class III Treatment by Combining Facemask (FM) and Maxillary Skeletal Expander (MSE). Seminars in Orthodontics. 2018 Mar;24(1):95-107. Moon W.
- Changes in the midpalatal and pterygopalatine sutures induced by micro-implant-supported skeletal expander, analyzed with a novel 3D method based on CBCT imaging. Prog Orthod 2017 18:34. Cantarella D, Dominguez-Mompell R, Mallya SM, Moschik C, Pan HC, Miller J, Moon W.
- Comparison of mechanical and biological properties of zirconia and titanium alloy orthodontic microimplants. The Korean Journal of Orthodontics. 2017 (47)4:229-237. Choi HW, Park YS, Chung SH, Jung MH, Moon W, Rhee SH.
- Effects of Cortipunture (CP) and Low-level Laser Therapy (LLLT) on the Rate of Tooth Movement and the Root Resorption in Rats using Micro-CT Evaluation, Submitted for Publication, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO), Aguinaldo S Garcez; Patricia O Reese; Hideo Suzuki; Martha S Ribeiro; Won Moon
- Effects of Monocortical and Bicortical Mini-implant Anchorage on Bone-borne Maxillary Skeletal Expander (MSE) Using Finite Element Analysis, May 2017, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO), Robert Lee; Won Moon; Christine Hong
- Author Response (Microimplant-assisted rapid palatal expansion), Accepted for Publication, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO), Won Moon
- Ability of mini-implant–facilitated micro-osteoperforations to accelerate tooth movement in rats, Accepted for Publication, Dec 2016, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO), Tracy Cheung; Juyoung Park; Deborah Lee; Catherine Kim; Jeffrey Olson; Shadi Javadi; Gregory Lawson; James McCabe; Won Moon; Kang Ting and Christine Hong
- Effect of Low-level Laser Therapy (LLLT) on Bone Metabolism Using Orthodontic Tooth Movement Model in Rats the Rate of Tooth Movement and the Root Resorption in Rats, J Biophotonics, September 2016, Selly Sayuri Suzuki; Aguinaldo S Garcez; Hideo Suzuki; Won Moon; Martha S Ribeiro
- Mini-screw Assisted Rapid Palatal Expander (MARPE): the Quest for Pure Orthopedic Movement, Dental Press J Orthod, 21(4): 17-23, July-Aug 2016, Hideo Suzuki, Won Moon, LH Previdente, Selly Sayuri Suzuki; Aguinaldo S Garcez; A Consolario
- Using Micro-Implant Assisted Maxillary Skeletal Expanders (MSEs) in Nonsurgical Orthopedic Correction, Summary of the Presentation by Won Moon at the PCSO Annual Session, Oct 22, 2015, PCSO Bulletin, Summer 2016, 53-55. Edited by Christine Hong
- Capitulo Livro Arbor (Book from Brazilian Association of Orthodontics), Chapter 16: Expansao Dentoalveolar Em Pacientes Adultos Utilizando Disjuntores, Pages: 228-238 June 2016. Edwardo Franzotti San’Anna; Amanda Caneiro da Cunha; Mariana Marquezan; Daniel Paludo Brunetto; Won Moon
- Psychological Considerations in Orthognathic Surgery and Orthodontics, Seminars in Orthodontics, 22(1): 12-17, March 2016, Won Moon, Jone Kim
- 3-Dimensional Analysis of the Craniofacial Skeletal Complex by Boundary and Surface Quantification, Biological Shape Analysis: Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium: University of Tokyo, Japan 14-17 June, 2013 (ISBN-13:978-9814704182ISBN-10:9814704180). Aug 2015, Won Moon, Jay Sung, Ryan McComb, Reena Khullar, Thais Sorares, Pete Lestrel, Charles Wolfe
- Evolution of Class III treatment in orthodontics, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO) 100 Year Anniversary Special Issue, 148(1):22-36. July 2015. Peter Ngan and Won Moon
- Quantitative Analysis of 3-Dimensional Facial Soft Tissue Photographic Images: Technical Methods and Clinical Application, Progress in Orthodontics, 16:21.July 2015. Vikrum Nanda; Boris Gutman; Ehab Bar; Suha Alghamdi; Sotirios Tetradis; Aldons J Lusis; Eleazar Eskin; Won Moon
- The Efficacy of Maxillary Protraction Protocols With the Micro-Implant Assisted Rapid Palatal Expander (MARPE) and the novel N2 Mini-Implant – A Finite Element Study, Progress in Orthodontics, 16:16. June 2015. Kimberley W Wu; Matthew MacGinnis; Jay Sung; Howard Chu; George Youssef; Andre Machado;Won Moon (Published Research Paper)
- Authors’ Response, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO), 146(6):694-5. Dec 2014. Andre W. Machado; Matt MacGinnis; L Damis; Won Moon
- The Effects of Micro-Implant Assisted Rapid Palatal Expansion (MARPE) on the Nasomaxillary Complex – A Finite Element Method (FEM) Analysis, Progress in Orthodontics, 15:52. Aug 2014. Matt MacGinnis; Howard Chu; George Yousse; Kimberley W Wu; Andre Machado; Won Moon
- Orthodontic Treatment of Class III Malocclusion (Text Book) (DOI: 10.2174/97816080549161140101e ISBN: 978-1-60805-491-6, ISBN: 978-1-60805-686-6), Chapter 5: Class III Orthopedic Treatment with Skeletal Anchorage, Pages: 116-150 (35) Bentham eBooks, June/July 2014. Won Moon and Reena Khullar
- Spontaneous improvement of gingival recession after correction of tooth positioning, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO), 145(6):828-35. June, 2014. Andre W. Machado; Matt MacGinnis; L Damis; Won Moon (doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2013.05.012. PMID: 24880854)
- Influence of the Vertical Position of Maxillary Central Incisors on the Perception of Smile Esthetics among Orthodontists and Laypersons, Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry, 25(6):392-401. Dec 2013. Andre W. Machado; Ryan McComb; Won Moon; Luiz G. Gandini Jr (doi: 10.1111/jerd.12054. Epub 2013 Nov 3. PMID: 24180675)
- A multidisciplinary approach to treating a severe gingival recession in the esthetic zone, Dentistry, 3 (3): 175:1-4. Dec 2013. Andre W. Machado; Ryan Hodges; Won Moon (doi:10.4172/2161-1122.1000175 ISSN:2161-1122)
- Influence of spacing in the upper lateral incisor area on the perception of smile esthetics among orthodontists and laypersons. The Journal of the World Federation of Orthodontics (JWFO-D-13-00051R1), 2(2013):169-74. Nov 2013. Andre W. Machado; Won Moon; Edison Campos; Luiz G. Gandini Jr.
- Early-Mixed Dentition Treatment of Bilateral Impaction of Permanent Mandibular First Molars, Pediatric Dentistry, 35(5):134-6. Sept/Oct 2013. Andre W. Machado; Ryan McComb; Kimberly Wu; Won Moon (PMID: 24290542)
- Mechanical Stability and Clinical Applicability Assessment of Novel Orthodontic Mini-Implant Design: Part 3, the Angle Orthodontist, 83(5):832-41. Sept 2013. Ha Na Song; Christine Hong; Robert Banh; Tania Ohebsion; Greg Asatrian; Ho-Yin Leung; Benjamin M. Wu; Won Moon (doi: 10.2319/111412-876.1. Epub 2013 Apr 29. PMID: 23627420)
- Effects of “Piezopuncture” on tooth movement and bone remodeling in dogs, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO), 144(1):23-31. July 2013. 2014 Wayne G. Watson Award Winner. Young-Seok Kim; Su-Jung Kim; Hyun-Joo Yoon; Peter Joohak Lee; Won Moon; Young Guk Park (doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2013.01.022. PMID: 23810042)
- An Interview with Won Moon by Andre Wilson Machado, Barry Briss, Greg J Huang, Richard Kulbersh and Sergei Godeiro Fernandes Rabelo Caldas, Dental Press Journal of Orthodontists,18(3):12-28. May-June 2013. Won Moon (PMID: 24228299)
- Influence of maxillary incisor edges asymmetries on the perception of smile esthetics among orthodontists and laypersons, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO), 143(5):658-64. May 2013. Andre W. Machado; Won Moon; Luiz G. Gandini Jr. (doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2013.02.013. PMID: 23631967)
- Representation of the Mandible as a Curve in 3-spaces: A Preliminary Study using Fourier Descriptors, Biological Shape Analysis, Proceeding of the 2ndInternational Symposium (ISBN-13:978-9814518406ISBN-10:9814518409Edition:1st), June, 2013. Reena Khullar, Pete Lestrel, Won Moon and Charles Wolfe
- Robust Shape Correspondence via Spherical Patch Matching for Atlases of Partial Skull Models. In: Mesh Processing in Medical Image Analysis 2012, vol. 7599 (Levine, J. et al., eds), pp 89-100: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2012. Boris Gutman, Ryan McComb, Jay Sung, Won Moon, Paul Thompson
- Mechanical Stability Assessment of Novel Orthodontic Mini-Implant Designs: Part 2, the Angle Orthodontist, 81(6):1001-9. doi: 10.2319/031011-176.1.Nov 2011. Christine Hong; Peter Truong; Ha Na Song; Benjamin M. Wu; Won Moon (doi: 10.2319/031011-176.1. Epub 2011 Jun 29. PMID: 21714589)
- Stability Comparison between Commercially Available Designs and a Novel Design: Part 1, Angle Orthodontist, 81(4):692-9. doi: 10.2319/092410-556.1.Jul 2011. Christine Hong; Haofu Lee; Rich Webster; Jinny Kwak; Benjamin M. Wu; Won Moon (doi: 10.2319/092410-556.1. Epub 2011 Feb 9. PMID: 21306226)
- A Numerical and Visual Approach for Measuring the Effects of Functional Appliance Therapy: Fourier Descriptors. Chapter 15 in Fourier Descriptors and Their Applications in Biology, Cambridge University Press. 1997. Won Moon (Textbook)