Course on Non-surgical Maxillary Skeletal Expansion (MSE)
Lecture, hands-on workshop and clinical part
Dr. Daniele Cantarella
DDS, MS, PhD
Visiting Professor, University of Milan
Treviso July 8th 2022
The course on non-surgical mid-facial expansion with the Maxillary Skeletal Expander (MSE), is given in Treviso by Dr. Daniele Cantarella.
The course will illustrate the dental and skeletal effects of maxillary expansion using the conventional rapid palatal expander (RPE), the surgically-assisted rapid palatal expander (SARPE), and the micro-implant assisted maxillary skeletal expander (MSE). Clinical cases involving non-surgical midfacial expansion in both adolescent and adult patients will be examined in detail. Through these clinical examples and the workshop, a proper MSE fabrication and expansion protocol will be illustrated.
Advantages of using MSE will be analyzed. Many patients requiring maxillary expansion often have narrow nasal airways, and positive changes in nasal airway with application of MSE are common. The impact on treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS) will be explained.
MSE is used also in orthopedic correction of Class III cases when combined with a face-mask (FM). Clinical cases combining MSE and FM in both growing and mature patients will be discussed, and orthopedic effects will be illustrated.
The course will also describe the advanced applications of the technique, including the digital planning of MSE on patient CBCT and the fabrication of Cad-Cam MSE with 6 or 8 miniscrews.
In the clinical part, course attendants will observe the positioning of MSE on a patient.
The course is open to orthodontists, dentists, ENT specialists, specialists in sleep medicine, maxillofacial surgeons, dental lab technicians.
Dr. Daniele Cantarella, DDS, MS, PhD.
Visiting Professor, University of Milan.
Dr. Daniele Cantarella received the Degree of Doctor in Dental Surgery with full grades and Laude at the University of Padova, where he also attended a Residency in Temporo-mandibular Disorders. He attended the Residency Program in Orthodontics at the University of Ferrara.
He completed the Advanced Clinical Training in Orthodontics and the Master of Science in Oral Biology at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), where he has been working for several years on miniscrew-assisted rapid palatal expansion (MARPE) with MSE along with Prof. Won Moon. His research has been published in the main orthodontic journals, like the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics and Progress in Orthodotnics. He completed the PhD Program in Clinical Research at the University of Milan, where currently he is Visiting Professor.
He completed the 2-year Orthodontic Program at Dr. Richard McLaughlin in San Diego (USA). Author of several publications in international journals. His areas of interest are digital orthodontics, biomechanics, skeletal anchorage, dentofacial orthopedics. Member of SIDO, AIDOR, WFO and of the E.H. Angle Society of Orthodontists, Component of Southern California (USA). Winner in 2019 of the FEO Award, prize of the European Federation of Orthodontics for the best research publication.
- Conventional rapid palatal expansion (RPE), surgically assisted rapid palatal expansion (SARPE), mid-facial expansion with Maxillary Skeletal Expander (MSE): dental and skeletal effects
- Skeletal modifications induced by MSE in the midface: a novel biomechanics of maxillary expansion
- MSE: features of the appliance, clinical indications, errors to avoid in treatment planning and appliance positioning
- Maxillary expansion with MSE in adult patients
- MSE therapy and its implications on nasal airway and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS)
- MSE and face-mask therapy in the orthopedic treatment of Class III malocclusions
- Future directions in utilization of MSE
- MSE Digital Workflow: digital planning of MSE on patient CBCT and Cad-Cam MSE with 6 or 8 miniscrews.
- Overview of MSE fabrication
- Proper placement of MSE on the typodont
- Contouring the supporting arms
- Inserting Micro-Implants into the synthetic bone using both the mini-hand-driver and Ratchet Wrench
- Expanding MSE
- Removing Micro-Implants with the min-hand-driver
- Execution of digital planning of MSE on a patient CBCT
- Course attendants will observe MSE placement on a patient
The course is in Italian with translation in English
- 8:30 – 9:00 : registration
- 9:00 – 13:30: lecture and typodont workshop at Hotel Maggior Consiglio in Treviso
- 13:30 – 15:00: lunch break
- 15:00 – 16:00 : clinical part at Cantarella Orthodontic Office in Treviso
Morning session: Hotel Maggior Consiglio Via Strada Terraglio 140, Treviso, Italy
Afternoon session: Studio Ortodontico Cantarella Via dei Da Prata 14, Treviso, Italy
The hotel is close to Treviso Canova airport, Venice Marco Polo airport, Treviso train station.
|Standard price||350,00 €|
|Price for residents in Orthodontic or Maxillofacial Surgery specialization programs||200,00 €|
|Price for dental lab technicians||190,00 €|
All prices are VAT included.
Price includes participation to the lecture and typodont demonstration, coffee breaks, hand out of the typodont demonstration.
Due to Covid regulations, a valid Green Pass is required to attend the course.
Registration is guaranteed on first come first serve basis until fulfillment of available spots. Registration is considered valid only after receipt of copy of bank wire transfer.
Course is limited to 10 participants.
Please submit registration form and copy of bank wire transfer to Medical Micro Design at following E-mail address: email@example.com
Information for Bank Wire Transfer
Organization of the Event
Medical Micro Design Srl
Via Piave 71, 31044, Montebelluna (TV)
Tel. (+39) 347-1589780
Scientific course director
Daniele Cantarella, DDS, MS, E-mai address: firstname.lastname@example.org