Course on Non-surgical Maxillary Skeletal Expansion (MSE)
Moon Principles by Won
Lecture and hands-on workshop
Prof. Won Moon
Orthodontic Department, Forsyth Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts,USA
Dr. Daniele Cantarella
MILAN February 5th 2022 – Doria Grand Hotel Milano
The course on non-surgical mid-facial expansion with the Maxillary Skeletal Expander (MSE), is given in Italy by Prof. Won Moon, from the Forsyth Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts (USA). The MSE has evolved since 2004, and its application has been steadily growing globally. With a proliferation of MSE related publications by multiple authors (twenty of them were authored by Won Moon), there is clear evidence to support its impact.
The primary aim of the course is to illustrate the dental and skeletal effects of maxillary expansion using the conventional rapid palatal expander (RPE), the surgically-assisted rapid palatal expander (SARPE), and the micro-implant assisted maxillary skeletal expander (MSE). Dental expansion, bone bending, and true skeletal expansion will be compared. The adverse clinical consequences of RPE and SARPE in high-angle cases will be explored, and a new approach eliminating these problems by the use of MSE will be presented, based on research data. Clinical cases involving non-surgical midfacial expansion in both adolescent and adult patients will be examined in detail. Through these clinical examples and the workshop, a proper MSE fabrication and expansion protocol will be illustrated.
The secondary aim is to demonstrate other advantages of utilizing MSE. Many patients requiring maxillary expansion often have narrow nasal airways, and positive changes in nasal airway with application of MSE are common. Clinical cases illustrating the enlargement of nasal airways after MSE in both adolescent and adult patients will be closely evaluated and its impact on treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS).
With this concept of orthopedic expansion, MSE can also aid in orthopedic correction of Class III cases when combined with a face-mask (FM). Clinical cases combining MSE and FM in both growing and mature patients will be discussed, and orthopedic effects will be illustrated.
The course will also describe the latest developments and the advanced applications of the technique.
The course is open to orthodontists, dentists, ENT specialists, specialists in sleep medicine, maxillofacial surgeons, dental lab technicians.
Prof. Won Moon has been a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics since 2002. He completed his dental education at Harvard and orthodontic education at UCLA. He studied mathematics prior to dentistry, and his research topics include 3D image analysis utilizing surface mapping functions and Elliptical Fourier’s Descriptors, Genomewide Association Study of Craniofacial Phenotypes, Finite Elelment Model Development and Simulation, Applications of 3D Printing in Orthodontics, Orthopedic Correction, Airway Changes with Orthopedic Corrections, Accelerated Tooth Movement, and Micro-implant (MI) Design study. His work has been published in various journals, not necessarily limited to orthodontics because of his background, and he is a co-author of two textbooks. He has presented these findings in 15 countries, totaling over 150 presentations. His current focus has been establishing protocols for orthopedic corrections with MI, improving the airway for patients with nasal obstruction, and creating virtual patients utilizing image analysis.
His interest in mid-facial expansion began 2003 as micro-implant became available in USA, and he is responsible for developing Maxillary Skeletal Expander (MSE), a unique micro-implant assisted rapid palatal expander (MARPE). He has been active in advocating non-surgical skeletal expansion in both children and adult patients, especially for those who may suffer from airway restrictions. His presentation in MSE has been widely accepted internationally, and numerous peer-reviewed publications are available.
Dr. Daniele Cantarella received the Degree of Doctor in Dental Surgery with full grades and Laude at the University of Padova, where he also attended a Residency in Temporo-mandibular Disorders. He attended the Advanced Clinical Training in Orthodontics and the Master of Science in Oral Biology at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA). He attended the Residency in Orthodontics in Italy at the University of Ferrara. He completed the 2-year Orthodontic Program at Dr. Richard McLaughlin in San Diego (USA). Author of several publications in international journals. His areas of interest are digital orthodontics, biomechanics, skeletal anchorage, dentofacial orthopedics. Member of SIDO, AIDOR, WFO and of the E.H. Angle Society of Orthodontists, Component of Southern California (USA). Winner in 2019 of the FEO Award, prize of the European Federation of Orthodontics for the best research publication.
- Conventional rapid palatal expansion (RPE), surgically assisted rapid palatal expansion (SARPE), mid-facial expansion with Maxillary Skeletal Expander (MSE): dental and skeletal effects
- Skeletal modifications induced by MSE in the midface: a novel biomechanics of maxillary expansion
- MSE: features of the appliance, clinical indications, errors to avoid in treatment planning and appliance positioning
- Maxillary expansion with MSE in adult patients
- MSE therapy and its implications on nasal airway and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS): latest data from University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) research team
- MSE and face-mask therapy in the orthopedic treatment of Class III malocclusions
- Overcoming difficult cases
- New and improved MSE
- Future directions in utilization of MSE
- MSE Digital Workflow ( New!)
Typodont demonstration (with video)
The following will be covered:
- Overview of MSE fabrication and clinical tips through case studies
- Proper placement of MSE on the typodont
- Contouring the supporting arms
- Inserting Micro-Implants into the synthetic bone using both the mini-hand-driver and Ratchet Wrench
- Expanding MSE
- Removing Micro-Implants with the min-hand-driver
The course is in English with translation in Italian
- 8:30 – 9:00 : registration
- 9:00 – 14:00 : lecture (cofee break 11:30 – 12:00)
- 14:00 – 15:00 : typodont demonstration with video
Doria Grand Hotel Viale Andrea Doria 22, Milano
|Standard price||420,00 €|
|Price for residents in Orthodontic or Maxillofacial Surgery specialization programs||190,00 €|
|Price for dental lab technicians||200,00 €|
All prices are VAT included.
Price includes participation to the lecture and typodont demonstration, coffee breaks, hand out of the typodont demonstration.
Due to Covid regulations, a valid Green Pass is required to attend the course.
Due to the large request of attendance, registration is guaranteed on first come first serve basis until fulfillment of available spots. Registration is considered valid only after receipt of copy of bank wire transfer.
Please submit registration form and copy of bank wire transfer to Medical Micro Design at following E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Information for Bank Wire Transfer
Organization of the Event
Medical Micro Design Srl
Via Piave 71, 31044, Montebelluna (TV)
Tel. (+39) 347-1589780
Scientific course director
Daniele Cantarella, DDS, MS, E-mai address: email@example.com
- Zygomaticomaxillary modifications in the horizontal plane induced by micro-implant-supported skeletal expander, analyzed with CBCT images. Progress in Orthodontics. 2018, 19:41. Cantarella D, Dominguez-Mompell R, Moschik C, Sfogliano L, Elkenawy I, Pan HC, Mallya SM, Moon W.
- Midfacial changes in the coronal plane induced by micro-implant-supported skeletal expander, studied with CBCT images. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2018 Sep;154(3):337-345. doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2017.11.033. Cantarella D, Dominguez-Mompell R, Mallya SM, Moschik C, Pan HC, Miller J, Moon W.
- Class III Treatment by Combining Facemask (FM) and Maxillary Skeletal Expander (MSE). Seminars in Orthodontics. 2018 Mar;24(1):95-107. Moon W.
- Changes in the midpalatal and pterygopalatine sutures induced by micro-implant-supported skeletal expander, analyzed with a novel 3D method based on CBCT imaging. Prog Orthod 2017 18:34. Cantarella D, Dominguez-Mompell R, Mallya SM, Moschik C, Pan HC, Miller J, Moon W.
- Comparison of mechanical and biological properties of zirconia and titanium alloy orthodontic microimplants. The Korean Journal of Orthodontics. 2017 (47)4:229-237. Choi HW, Park YS, Chung SH, Jung MH, Moon W, Rhee SH.
- Effects of Cortipunture (CP) and Low-level Laser Therapy (LLLT) on the Rate of Tooth Movement and the Root Resorption in Rats using Micro-CT Evaluation, Submitted for Publication, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO), Aguinaldo S Garcez; Patricia O Reese; Hideo Suzuki; Martha S Ribeiro; Won Moon
- Effects of Monocortical and Bicortical Mini-implant Anchorage on Bone-borne Maxillary Skeletal Expander (MSE) Using Finite Element Analysis, May 2017, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO), Robert Lee; Won Moon; Christine Hong
- Author Response (Microimplant-assisted rapid palatal expansion), Accepted for Publication, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO), Won Moon
- Ability of mini-implant–facilitated micro-osteoperforations to accelerate tooth movement in rats, Accepted for Publication, Dec 2016, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO), Tracy Cheung; Juyoung Park; Deborah Lee; Catherine Kim; Jeffrey Olson; Shadi Javadi; Gregory Lawson; James McCabe; Won Moon; Kang Ting and Christine Hong
- Effect of Low-level Laser Therapy (LLLT) on Bone Metabolism Using Orthodontic Tooth Movement Model in Rats the Rate of Tooth Movement and the Root Resorption in Rats, J Biophotonics, September 2016, Selly Sayuri Suzuki; Aguinaldo S Garcez; Hideo Suzuki; Won Moon; Martha S Ribeiro
- Mini-screw Assisted Rapid Palatal Expander (MARPE): the Quest for Pure Orthopedic Movement, Dental Press J Orthod, 21(4): 17-23, July-Aug 2016, Hideo Suzuki, Won Moon, LH Previdente, Selly Sayuri Suzuki; Aguinaldo S Garcez; A Consolario
- Using Micro-Implant Assisted Maxillary Skeletal Expanders (MSEs) in Nonsurgical Orthopedic Correction, Summary of the Presentation by Won Moon at the PCSO Annual Session, Oct 22, 2015, PCSO Bulletin, Summer 2016, 53-55. Edited by Christine Hong
- Capitulo Livro Arbor (Book from Brazilian Association of Orthodontics), Chapter 16: Expansao Dentoalveolar Em Pacientes Adultos Utilizando Disjuntores, Pages: 228-238 June 2016. Edwardo Franzotti San’Anna; Amanda Caneiro da Cunha; Mariana Marquezan; Daniel Paludo Brunetto; Won Moon
- Psychological Considerations in Orthognathic Surgery and Orthodontics, Seminars in Orthodontics, 22(1): 12-17, March 2016, Won Moon, Jone Kim
- 3-Dimensional Analysis of the Craniofacial Skeletal Complex by Boundary and Surface Quantification, Biological Shape Analysis: Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium: University of Tokyo, Japan 14-17 June, 2013 (ISBN-13:978-9814704182ISBN-10:9814704180). Aug 2015, Won Moon, Jay Sung, Ryan McComb, Reena Khullar, Thais Sorares, Pete Lestrel, Charles Wolfe
- Evolution of Class III treatment in orthodontics, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO) 100 Year Anniversary Special Issue, 148(1):22-36. July 2015. Peter Ngan and Won Moon
- Quantitative Analysis of 3-Dimensional Facial Soft Tissue Photographic Images: Technical Methods and Clinical Application, Progress in Orthodontics, 16:21.July 2015. Vikrum Nanda; Boris Gutman; Ehab Bar; Suha Alghamdi; Sotirios Tetradis; Aldons J Lusis; Eleazar Eskin; Won Moon
- The Efficacy of Maxillary Protraction Protocols With the Micro-Implant Assisted Rapid Palatal Expander (MARPE) and the novel N2 Mini-Implant – A Finite Element Study, Progress in Orthodontics, 16:16. June 2015. Kimberley W Wu; Matthew MacGinnis; Jay Sung; Howard Chu; George Youssef; Andre Machado;Won Moon (Published Research Paper)
- Authors’ Response, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO), 146(6):694-5. Dec 2014. Andre W. Machado; Matt MacGinnis; L Damis; Won Moon
- The Effects of Micro-Implant Assisted Rapid Palatal Expansion (MARPE) on the Nasomaxillary Complex – A Finite Element Method (FEM) Analysis, Progress in Orthodontics, 15:52. Aug 2014. Matt MacGinnis; Howard Chu; George Yousse; Kimberley W Wu; Andre Machado; Won Moon
- Orthodontic Treatment of Class III Malocclusion (Text Book) (DOI: 10.2174/97816080549161140101e ISBN: 978-1-60805-491-6, ISBN: 978-1-60805-686-6), Chapter 5: Class III Orthopedic Treatment with Skeletal Anchorage, Pages: 116-150 (35) Bentham eBooks, June/July 2014. Won Moon and Reena Khullar
- Spontaneous improvement of gingival recession after correction of tooth positioning, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO), 145(6):828-35. June, 2014. Andre W. Machado; Matt MacGinnis; L Damis; Won Moon (doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2013.05.012. PMID: 24880854)
- Influence of the Vertical Position of Maxillary Central Incisors on the Perception of Smile Esthetics among Orthodontists and Laypersons, Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry, 25(6):392-401. Dec 2013. Andre W. Machado; Ryan McComb; Won Moon; Luiz G. Gandini Jr (doi: 10.1111/jerd.12054. Epub 2013 Nov 3. PMID: 24180675)
- A multidisciplinary approach to treating a severe gingival recession in the esthetic zone, Dentistry, 3 (3): 175:1-4. Dec 2013. Andre W. Machado; Ryan Hodges; Won Moon (doi:10.4172/2161-1122.1000175 ISSN:2161-1122)
- Influence of spacing in the upper lateral incisor area on the perception of smile esthetics among orthodontists and laypersons. The Journal of the World Federation of Orthodontics (JWFO-D-13-00051R1), 2(2013):169-74. Nov 2013. Andre W. Machado; Won Moon; Edison Campos; Luiz G. Gandini Jr.
- Early-Mixed Dentition Treatment of Bilateral Impaction of Permanent Mandibular First Molars, Pediatric Dentistry, 35(5):134-6. Sept/Oct 2013. Andre W. Machado; Ryan McComb; Kimberly Wu; Won Moon (PMID: 24290542)
- Mechanical Stability and Clinical Applicability Assessment of Novel Orthodontic Mini-Implant Design: Part 3, the Angle Orthodontist, 83(5):832-41. Sept 2013. Ha Na Song; Christine Hong; Robert Banh; Tania Ohebsion; Greg Asatrian; Ho-Yin Leung; Benjamin M. Wu; Won Moon (doi: 10.2319/111412-876.1. Epub 2013 Apr 29. PMID: 23627420)
- Effects of “Piezopuncture” on tooth movement and bone remodeling in dogs, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO), 144(1):23-31. July 2013. 2014 Wayne G. Watson Award Winner. Young-Seok Kim; Su-Jung Kim; Hyun-Joo Yoon; Peter Joohak Lee; Won Moon; Young Guk Park (doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2013.01.022. PMID: 23810042)
- An Interview with Won Moon by Andre Wilson Machado, Barry Briss, Greg J Huang, Richard Kulbersh and Sergei Godeiro Fernandes Rabelo Caldas, Dental Press Journal of Orthodontists,18(3):12-28. May-June 2013. Won Moon (PMID: 24228299)
- Influence of maxillary incisor edges asymmetries on the perception of smile esthetics among orthodontists and laypersons, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (AJODO), 143(5):658-64. May 2013. Andre W. Machado; Won Moon; Luiz G. Gandini Jr. (doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2013.02.013. PMID: 23631967)
- Representation of the Mandible as a Curve in 3-spaces: A Preliminary Study using Fourier Descriptors, Biological Shape Analysis, Proceeding of the 2ndInternational Symposium (ISBN-13:978-9814518406ISBN-10:9814518409Edition:1st), June, 2013. Reena Khullar, Pete Lestrel, Won Moon and Charles Wolfe
- Robust Shape Correspondence via Spherical Patch Matching for Atlases of Partial Skull Models. In: Mesh Processing in Medical Image Analysis 2012, vol. 7599 (Levine, J. et al., eds), pp 89-100: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2012. Boris Gutman, Ryan McComb, Jay Sung, Won Moon, Paul Thompson
- Mechanical Stability Assessment of Novel Orthodontic Mini-Implant Designs: Part 2, the Angle Orthodontist, 81(6):1001-9. doi: 10.2319/031011-176.1.Nov 2011. Christine Hong; Peter Truong; Ha Na Song; Benjamin M. Wu; Won Moon (doi: 10.2319/031011-176.1. Epub 2011 Jun 29. PMID: 21714589)
- Stability Comparison between Commercially Available Designs and a Novel Design: Part 1, Angle Orthodontist, 81(4):692-9. doi: 10.2319/092410-556.1.Jul 2011. Christine Hong; Haofu Lee; Rich Webster; Jinny Kwak; Benjamin M. Wu; Won Moon (doi: 10.2319/092410-556.1. Epub 2011 Feb 9. PMID: 21306226)
- A Numerical and Visual Approach for Measuring the Effects of Functional Appliance Therapy: Fourier Descriptors. Chapter 15 in Fourier Descriptors and Their Applications in Biology, Cambridge University Press. 1997. Won Moon (Textbook)